By Jeff Lee, Co-founder and EVP of Sales
We live in the time of the “Origin Story.” Most of these stories have been told in movies based on superheroes in comic books. Every superhero has their own origin story, and whether they were bitten by a radioactive spider, were sent to earth after their planet was destroyed, or gained superhuman strength as a part of a government experiment, the origin story plays a big role in each of these heroes’ journeys. These stories are often memorable and easily recognizable for each superhero, but they usually have a lot of elements in common.
What criteria makes a good origin story? Great question. Here are some of the elements:
- Catalytic Trauma: Some cataclysmic event gives birth to a superhero. Part of a good origin story is making sense of this trauma, and how it forms the hero. Batman witnessed the tragic deaths of his parents. Ironman was taken as a prisoner of war and forced to make a weapon for the enemy. Superman’s planet was destroyed, and he was exiled to another planet. In each of these stories, these events set in motion their journey towards becoming superheroes.
- Moments of Truth: There is often a moment when the character has to decide to become a hero, and this is key to the success of the story. Many heroes could have easily become villains had they chosen that path, but they chose to be good, and they can often refer to this moment when being forced to make a difficult decision. Remembering where they came from and why they do what they do puts it all into perspective.
- A Montage: What’s an origin story without a montage of gadgets, suits, training and testing new abilities? Most superheroes are created, not born, so there’s usually a period where they’re learning about their new abilities or discovering their strengths.
- Identity: Hey kid, what’s your name? Did the hero name themselves or someone tag them, and it stuck? How’d they get their iconic suit or uniform? You could say each hero has their own “brand” and this helps the public recognize them.
- Great one-liners: In many origin stories, there’s a great one liner. It can help them remember who they are, or it could be something they say when they take off in flight, or even something others say about them. Each of these one liners are part of this hero’s brand and is another identifying aspect of the hero’s story. For Spiderman, it’s “With great power comes great responsibility.” Others include “Hulk, SMASH,” “Up, up, and away,” “Avengers Assemble,” or “Truth, Justice, and the American way.”
At Blue Raven Solar, we like to think that, like so many of these superheroes, we’re helping to save the planet and make the world a better place for its inhabitants through clean solar energy. Although we might not be considered the same kind of “hero” as Superman or Wonder Woman, the difference renewable energy makes is not fictional. And while our origin story might not be made for the big screen, let’s take a look at some of these same criteria which helped lead to the making of Blue Raven Solar:
- Catalytic Trauma: The world can’t continue to burn fossil fuels to make energy. As a nation, we still get over 67% of our electricity from the burning of fossil fuels and every day, carbon-based energy sources release toxic pollution into our atmosphere. It isn’t sustainable, and it isn’t healthy for the earth or humans. There is a better way. A true superhero? Yes, SOLAR ENERGY! The sun can power the world and solar panels help us turn sunlight into electricity.
- Moments of Truth: Every hour, the sun beams more than enough energy to earth to power civilization for an entire year. Yes, you read that right. Every. Hour. But to convert sunlight into power, we need the technology and the right people. A group of individuals is needed to go into people’s homes to help facilitate from start to finish installing solar energy systems on their very homes. This group was the start of Blue Raven Solar.
- A Montage: (listen for the “Eye of the Tiger” song in the background) Our montage starts with hiring driven people with sales and installation experience. Add in managing complex growth paths and practice installing on roofs from subfreezing temperatures to scalding hot summer days. This has been the montage of Blue Raven.
- Identity: Hey kid, what’s your name? “Blue Raven” doesn’t have much to do with the sun, or solar, but we wanted a name that would set us apart from hundreds of solar companies. For some reason, Blue Raven works and the name has stuck. With our logo and other branding materials, the best-looking and top-quality panels, and a top-tier customer experience, Blue Raven Solar has created a recognizable brand that stands for trust and quality.
- Great one-liners: “The Future of Energy. Today.” It’s a fact that solar power and other renewable energy resources are the future of energy because there is simply no other choice for the future of the planet. But we don’t have to (and shouldn’t) wait until there are no more carbon-based energy sources to make the switch to solar. Homeowners can power their life on the sun today, reducing their carbon footprint and saving thousands of dollars along the way.
Okay, Okay. I’ll admit I just saw all the Avengers in Blue Raven uniforms installing solar panels. While fighting crime and saving the world from extra-terrestrial villains is noble and all, when was the last time New York City was actually destroyed by a couple of guys in leotards fighting off aliens? My vision is much more realistic.
The reality is Blue Raven Solar was founded in 2014 by a small group who believed they could create a world class organization with a mission “to make homeowners’ lives better by reducing their energy bills, increasing reliance on clean and abundant renewable energy and providing a world-class customer experience through a reliable sales process and a speedy, high-quality installation.”
We started out in 2014 with three employees, and in 2020 we are one of the top solar companies in the United States. With over 1300 team members and a presence from the east coast to the west coast, and border to border, Blue Raven’s origin story continues into today.
We love what we do. We believe in what we do. We do feel like superheroes when each and every home turns on its own little sun-powered power plant.
About the Author
Jeff Lee, Co-founder and Executive VP of Sales
Jeff Lee has been over sales at Blue Raven since day 1. Before founding Blue Raven Solar, he founded two successful companies. He started in direct sales in 1997 and has been in the industry for 25+ years. He loves spending time with his wife and young children boating at Lake Powell, or anywhere they can play and run free. He also enjoys archery and flyfishing.